<

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Dot-Bomb!

So, I joined this company 2 months ago and left my good job because there were rumors of layoffs (I was going to be one of them). This company is a new company, it's internet based and all self-funded with few investors... I probably should have known better, but it seemed like a great opportunity to get my foot in the door doing something other than mortgages. Its a great concept, but unfortunately, this company does not have the financial backing they need and therefore should not have hired on so many employees so soon.... Now they're claiming financial hardship and will not be able to pay us on our regularly scheduled pay days and are not sure of when they'll be able to do so within the next 90 days.... Last Friday, I finally got a paycheck for the first time in 3 weeks. And, as of today, I'm owed another paycheck as well as one for the end of this pay-period, which ends today... Meaning that on the 7th of April, I will be owed an entire month's worth of salary. No idea if I'll be getting it or not. Apparantly I work for free now days.....

I got a memo in my email this morning going over the office meeting we had last week and it explains that there are several options available to us. In lieu of our salary, we can 1.) purchase stock options equivalent to one months' salary 2.) invest in the company for .50 per share or 3.) if we stick it out the 90 days we'll be compensated for 1.5 months worth of salary in stock options... Anyone seeing a pattern here? There's no money involved - just paper stock options that mean nothing if the company dot-bombs.... And that doesn't pay my bills.

I didn't know what else to do, so I called D and explained it all to him.... He wanted me to pack up and walk out, but I do have a heart and felt guilty doing so, which means that I didn't (yea, I'm still sitting here.... Why am I such a nice person?!) After talking to him, I called an old friend that I had previously worked with and explained my situation... Would you believe that by the time I got back from lunch this afternoon, I have 3 opportunities to possibly choose from! My friend informed me of 2 possible positions within her sphere - one of which I'm seriously interested in but won't know about until next week sometime. And, D talked to his boss, who has some ties to the mortgage industry as well, and I'll be e-mailing my resume over to a friend of his tonight. He has promised to take a look at it and possibly share my situation wtih a few of his acquaintances as well....

So, we'll see what happens... I really would like to pack up and walk out being that I haven't been paid in ages, and have no idea when to expect my next paycheck.... But I'm just too nice of a person.... Which totally frustrates me because I can be a total bitch to someone that I love so dearly, but with a stranger, I'm sweet as pie and let them walk all over me.... I hate it.

Needless to say, my life has been turned completely upside down, backwards, and thrown for a huge loop so far this year. Honestly, what else can go wrong?! **knocking on wood** I just want my old life back....

1 Comments:

Blogger Jaime Warren said...

Jes...
I am the same way sweetie. I am perfectly nice to a stranger, to my boss, etc. But I'll turn right around and be a total snot to the people that I love. I'm trying to change that, but it's tough!

I have no doubts that you will move on from that company when you feel it's right to. It will come to you and you'll do it.

And I know that in the moment this means squat...because you hurt and you get angry and you wonder *why?*...but, going forward can only mean growing...and you are, everyday.

((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home